Nematology Summer Course - Ethiopia
Venue: Jimma University College of Agriculture and Veterinary Medicine (JUCAVM)
Second edition: 8 July - 16 August 2019
The Nematology Summer Course is a 6 weeks training in the period July – August and will run for 3 consecutive years. The second edition will be in the summer of 2019 and run from 8 July - 16 August 2019. This course is offered to staff working in different Ethiopian universities and research institutions with a focus on staff involved in plant protection. Course participants will have access to the lab facilities of the Plant nematology laboratory, greenhouse facilities, digital demonstrations and ICT facilities at JUCAVM. Participants will work in team, collect soil and plant samples from the field, extract nematodes, quantify process, mount nematodes and carryout morphometric analysis, and identify specimens at least to genus level. In addition, they will learn potential nematode damage symptoms in the field. For more details on the programme please download the programme here.
There are 10 student positions available per year for which the International MSc in Agro- and Environmental Nematology offers 10 grants of 1365 € to cover flight, accommodation and daily expenses (lump sum). No additional tuition fees are required. The scholarship will be paid in 2-weekly installations (3 allowances in total for 6 weeks).
- Minimum BSc diploma in Agriculture/Horticulture/Biology/Crop Protection, but in an exceptional case, students with Diploma with relevant experience in crop protection can be accepted if well motivated.
- English will be the medium of instruction and candidates should have a good command of English.
- Working at Ethiopian universities or research institutes. Preference is given to candidates with a job, but in case you do not yet have a job, please motivate clearly why this course is relevant for your future career in these institutes.
Please use the online application form available here. You should register first with your e-mail address and choose a password. Once registered you will receive an e-mail (check your SPAM-box) with a link to the application form and a confirmation of your chosen password. Click the link and login with your e-mail address and your chosen password. Fill in the online application, follow the instructions and upload all required documents. Once you have completed the form, a submit button will appear in the upper right corner. After submission, you will receive an automatic e-mail containing an unique application number and the pdf of your application form.
In the application form you should upload:
- your (BSC) diploma and academic transcripts in 1 file.
- a recommendation letter from your employer, please use this template - additionally ask your employer to send this support letter directly by e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org
- a motivation letter (max 1 page)
- a curriculum vitae (CV)
- you may upload additional documents and 2 extra recommendation letters, but this is not compulsory
Deadline submission 2019: 15 April 2019
Results will be published the latest 15 May 2019
For any questions related to this course: please contact us on email@example.com
Dr. Beira H. Meressa is a graduate of our European Master of Science in Nematology (EUMAINE) and obtained a PhD in 2014 from Department of Phytomedicine, Institute for Crop Science and Resource Conservation (INRES), University of Bonn. He since then returned to work at Jimma University as assistant professor of nematology and his current research focuses on plant parasitic nematodes of horticultural crops. He is the organiser of the Nematology Summer Course.
Other staff involved are Ethiopian alumni from the International MSc in Agro- and Environmental Nematology and every year a guest professor will be invited to give part of the course.
In 2019, the part on Nematode Identification will be given by Prof. dr. em. Wilfrida Decraemer (UGent).