International MSc in Agro- and Environmental Nematology
 Studying PINC as a self-sponsored student

Studying PINC as self- or other-sponsored student

Admission letter to Ghent University

⇒If you have a Belgian diploma: click here

⇒If you do not have a Belgian diploma that gives you direct admission to the master programme, you will need an admission letter to Ghent University in order to enroll and in some cases to apply for a visa.
How can you get an official admission letter?

  1. Apply online on our website for pre-academic admission. Deadline is 1 January 20xx. Then the Nematology Educational Committee will screen your file for completeness and academic eligibility. Once your file is complete and you are academically eligible, you will receive an e-mail that you are pre-academically admitted and with further instructions. This is not yet an official admission. What to do next?
  2. In our e-mail there will be a link to a website where you should register as a prospective student. You will be asked to fill in another application form in order to to get an official admission letter. Fill in this application form and send it together with:
    • Copies of your diploma and complete academic transcripts certified by the issuing university/notarian and afterwards legalized by the Belgian Embassy in the country where the diploma was issued. It is also possible that the legalization can be done by a recognized authority in your country: please check the website --> legalization of documents
    • For diplomas issued in Cameroon, Ethiopia, Ghana and Nigeria: a copy of your diploma and complete academic transcripts originally certified by the issuing university and immediately sent by that university in a sealed envelope

      These documents should be sent to the following address:
      Ghent University
      International Admissions Desk - c/o Inge Huyge
      Sint-Pietersnieuwsstraat 33 UFO
      9000 Gent

      The deadline for students who require a visa to come to study in Belgium = 1 March 20xx  -  Students who do not require a visa = 1 June 20xx

Once we receive your admission letter from the student administration office, we will send it to you by e-mail and by postal mail.

Visa application (for non EU-students)

You will need to apply for preferably a visa type C + D Schengen (multiple entries) as soon as possible. It is possible that the embassy will only give you a visa type D single entry. Please make sure the validity of the visa does not start earlier than 15th of August.

More information you can find here:

What should you do?

Fill in the application form:

 Also contact the Consulate to double check  if this is the right procedure and what is needed.

What should you bring?

  • Passport, valid for at least 1 year on the moment you apply.
  • Admission letter Ghent University (provided by us)
  • Medical attestation from a doctor acknowledged by the Belgian Embassy.
  • Proof of solvability, see below.
  • Attestation of good conduct of each country where you have had your residence. Not older than 6 months, applying for the last 5 years.
  • For Chinese students: APS-certificate.


Make copies of all the above mentioned documents.

If your country has no Belgian Consulate that issues visa, you probably may send all the documents + a copy of your passport to the Belgian Consulate where you should go. Please send it with courier post. They will normally process your file and inform you when to pick up your visa. You can go there with your passport when the visa is ready. Contact them before you send all your documents.

Please note that all documents you submit should either be in Dutch, French, German or English. If your documents need to be translated, this should be done by a sworn translator.

Please see to it that your file is complete and well organised before you go or send it to the Consulate!


It may take up to 1 or 2 months to get a visa, so start in good time.


APS-screening (only for Chinese students)
From the academic year 2007-2008 onwards every Chinese student applying to study at a Flemish university needs to get an APS-certificate. It is a prerequisite to obtain a student visa.


What is APS?

APS is the Academic Evaluation Centre of the German embassy in Beijing. After an agreement with the Flemish government, they will screen Chinese student-applicants on:

  • The authenticity of documents e.g. diploma
  • English proficiency, tested by a conversation about the field of study of the applicant

 The APS-certificate does not oblige the Flemish university to admit the candidate. Other capacities or requirements can be asked for (e.g. TOEFL test).


For whom?

Every student graduated from a Chinese university: first time applicants as well as students already studying in Flanders who did not pass their first year of study.


  • PhD students (only light screening)
  • Candidates from the China Scholarship Council
  • Erasmus Mundus students


It is proven that organized fraud exists in the falsification of documents. Secondly, experience has shown that many Chinese students have severe problems in expressing themselves in English.


First, applicants need to register with the APS office in Beijing. APS website (in German/Chinese):, contact: Then all the documents need to be sent and an appointment for the English conversation test will be made. When the result is positive, the applicants immediately receive 10 APS-certificates. The total cost is about 250€.

Only with the APS-certificate the student can apply at a Flemish Educational Institute and apply for a student visa. When the Chinese student arrives in Belgium, they can contact the China platform of Ghent University to get the APS fee reimbursed, so please save your original receipt. For more information see:


Proof of solvability for self sponsored students

When applying for a study visa and when you do not have a scholarship, you will have to prove to the Belgian Authorities that you have sufficient financial means to sustain yourself during your stay in Belgium. If not, no visa will be issued. The minimum living wage per month in Belgium is 720 €, which is very few to sustain yourself in Belgium and Europe in general, but is sufficient to get a visa for Belgium – please do inquire at the embassy in your country what they accept as minimum.
There are several possibilities to prove that you have sufficient financial means, but if you do not have a scholarship and to avoid financial problems during your studies, we strongly advise to make use of the solvability account of Ghent University.

What is this?
Ghent University has created a system to be able to give you a proof of solvability. The idea of this system is that you open a personal account at the university on which you or your sponsor/donor pays a minimum of 12 months living allowance with a minimum of 720 € per month = 8640 € for your living expenses (food, accommodation, clothes, books, lecture notes,…)
Once you are in Ghent, the university will pay you a monthly living allowance on your Belgian bank account

More info here:


What should you do?

Contact and put in CC - subject of your e-mail: ‘solvability account + your name’. Inform her that you want to open a personal account as a self-sponsored student at Ghent University for the ICP Nematology and attach your admission letter to the e-mail. Mrs. Elien Demeulemeester will further guide you through the procedure. Once you have transferred the money, she will give you a proof of solvability and then you can start with your visa application.

Please note that after your arrival in Ghent, you should also pay:

  • the enrolment fee = 906,10 € (yearly) for EER students and students on the OESO-DAC list (first two rows), for all others it is about 1765,10 € (Faculty of Science)
  • 1200 € bench fee for the course Networking & Seminars and your thesis work = Summer Course Travel fee

If you succeed the first master year, a second transfer should be made in order to prolong your stay permit in Belgium.

Studying and working
We do not advise you to work during your studies, because the time schedule is full and when you do not master the Dutch language, there are not many jobs available. It is possible to work during the summer holidays (half July – half September), but also here the fact that you do not speak Dutch makes it more difficult. If you speak French, you could try to find a student job in Brussels during the summer.

BePrep Summer Course

All students who do not have a EU diploma are expected to follow the BePrep Summer Course prior to the master programme. It usually starts 1 September. More information can be found here.

Summer Course Travel fee
All students who do not have a VLIR-UOS scholarship are expected to pay a bench fee of 1200 € for 2 years. With this money the master programme can pay for the travels and registration in frame of the course Summer Course: Networking & Seminars (see programme) and support your thesis work.
We shall make an invoice and we expect you to pay this Summer Course travel fee before the start of the academic year.

IMAGEN Tuition fee waiver

The International Master of Science in Agro- and Environmental Nematology and VLIR-UOS will annually grant some tuition fee waivers for top students from developing countries who were not succesful in obtaining a scholarship.

It comprises:

  • the tuition fee to Ghent University: 906,10 € (2017-2018)
  • summer course travel fee of 1200 €
  • registration fee for the BePrep Summer Course (about 200€)

Applications can be done through the online application form.


Housing facilities

Student dormitories Ghent University
Ghent University offers accommodation for international students in the student dormitories Homes Uppsala, Groningen, Göttingen and Canterbury. Only when you have an admission letter you can start applying.
More information:
Choose ICP students
Please do not forget to read the terms & conditions for ICP students on the website.

(Prizes from academic year 2016-2017)
Homes Uppsala, Groningen, Göttingen and Canterbury

  • Rental fee room: 415 EUR/month; deposit for room: 125 EUR; deposit for key and badge: 35 EUR
  • Furnished room: cupboard, bed (mattress and linen provided); desk and two chairs.
  • Private bathroom with shower, wash basin and toilet.
  • Refrigerator installed (in the room).
  • Kitchen is shared.

More info:

Private housing
Students who prefer accommodation outside the student dormitories have to look for this accommodation themselves. More information can be found here:
More websites:

Also the OBSG has some rooms available for students from developing countries.


Every citizen or person residing in Belgium should have a medical insurance. This is compulsory! Once in Belgium we can assist you in connecting to a health fund where you pay a contribution each semester to be in order with the health insurance. Before coming to Belgium however, we advise you to take a travel insurance that will cover any medical care and/or damage during your travel and first month of stay in Belgium. The price to connect to this health fund contribution costs about 100 € per year. It will cover the basic health care. We additionally advise you to take an insurance for civil liability and reptriation, next to the medical insurance.


Last update on 12/03/2019 -
Management login
Site map